We really scored with the blues and purples this year but not so much with warmer tones.
These were the ingredients that we attempted , also not pictured was chili powder and pomegranate juice. I just forgot to put the chili powder in the photo. I switched the raspberries to pomegranate juice as about halfway through the process I checked the color and the raspberries were not working at all.
We used the Martha Stewart method for hard cooking eggs which is you place them in the water and bring it to a slow boil, then remove the pot from heat and cover the pot letting it sit for 12 min. The eggs always turn out perfect and the yokes are not gray but bright yellow. I let Simon carefully place the eggs into the water, he was really into helping with with project.
For the Chili powder and the tumeric we made a paste with vinegar and then rolled the eggs in the paste and then wrapped them in plastic wrap.
For all the other ingredients I just made a juice either by food processing the fruit or in the case of the cabbage and beets boiling them with water until I had a sufficient quantity of water sainted the correct color. I then put eggs in these old pom wonderful tea jars and covered them with plastic wrap. Everything went into the refrigerator for 24 hours.
This morning we pulled all of the eggs out of their dye bath and these were the resulting colors.
From left to right: beet, blueberry, pomegranate juice, cabbage.
I was really disappointed with the beets this year. Last year the beets dyed the eggs a beautiful shade of pink this year they came out a kind of yellow brown. But the blueberry and the cabbage more than made up for my beet disappointment.
Turmeric, Chili powder, (2 broken eggs) beet, and plumb
as the eggs dry the color changes slightly. I then rub them with a little olive oil to make them super shiny and took them outside for the top photo. As always this is a fun project. If you would like to see last years eggs you can see them here. Have a Happy Easter everyone!Portfolio | Contact Me | Book a Session
. . .